Christmas Trifle with ‘The Marker’ Panettone, Cherries, Vanilla and Mascarpone
As ever at The Marker Hotel, we love a twist on the traditional. Trifle is synonymous with Christmas time, the below is Gareth’s spin on this old time favourite dessert to give it that extra bite and have everyone battling for seconds. Four simple steps - spoons at the ready!
Serves 6-8 people as a dessert.
- 1 x Marker panettone cake (diced)
- 400g of pitted cherries (canned if fresh is not available)
- 1 x 750mls bottle orpens winter cider
- 100mls sherry
- 7 x leaves gelatine
- 400mls cream
- 4 x egg whites
- 200g sugar
- 1 x vanilla bean
- 250g mascarpone
- 400mls custard
- 100g grated dark chocolate
Winter Cider Jelly
- Put the gelatine in cold water to soften.
- Place 600mls of the marker winter cider, 100g sugar, bring to the boil.
- Squeeze the water out of gelatine and add to the raspberry syrup to dissolve.
- Place the mascarpone in a clean bowl and whisk.
- Whip the cream with the split and scraped vanilla bean.
- In an electric mixing bowl whisk the egg whites until light and airy, add 100g sugar and continue to whip until you have a light meringue mixture then fold into the mascarpone.
- Fold half the whipped cream into the mascarpone mix and save the rest for the custard.
- Add the shop bought custard to a bowl and add the rest of the whipped cream to the custard.
- In a large glass serving bowl put the diced panettone cake, cherries and sherry.
- Pour over the cooled but still liquid cider jelly into the bowl.
- Put in the fridge for two hours to set.
- Pour on the custard as the next layer.
- Finally, carefully pipe or spoon on the mascarpone cream on top of custard and garnish with the grated chocolate.
Remember to share your creations with us on social media:
Twitter & Instagram: @orpenscider, @themarkerhotel & @garmullins