Linguini with Smoked Bacon, Cherry Tomatoes, Garlic, Basil and Chilli
This recipe serves 4 people as a main course
- 400g fresh linguini
- 150g smoked bacon, cut into small batons
- 75ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 300g cherry tomatoes
- 2 fresh chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 glass white wine
- 20g basil, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 100g finely grated parmesan
- Cook the fresh linguini in plenty of boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes, until cooked al dente.
- While the linguini is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Sauté the smoked bacon for 2 minutes to release flavour and crisp up.
- Add the chopped cherry tomatoes, garlic, shallots and chilli and sauté for 3 minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
- Add the white wine and bring to the boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the linguini, some parmesan and chopped basil to the saucepan and toss through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Use 3-4 tablespoons of the water you cooked the pasta in to the pan, this will help form a nice and velvety sauce and stop the pasta sticking.
- Serve in 4 large pasta bowls with some fresh crusty bread on the side and the rest of the shaved parmesan on the top
Good quality smoked belly bacon or pancetta works best for this recipe.
This dish also works well with seafood i.e. prawns, crab meat, mussels or diced fish. If using fish, don't add parmesan to the sauce.