Roast Fillet of Beef with Garlic Potatoes, Green Beans and Sauce Vierge
- 1kg of beef fillet, ask your butcher to trim all fat and sine off the meat
- 200g green beans
- 1 tablespoon of black, green and pink peppercorns ground in a spice grinder
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1kg rooster potatoes
- 250mls cream
- 1 clove of garlic
- 20g parmesan
- 200g green beans topped and tailed
- Knob of butter
Ingredients for the sauce vierge
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 shallot finely diced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of chopped tarragon
- 20mls extra virgin olive oil
To make garlic potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Bring the cream and garlic to the boil and set to one side.
- Peel the potatoes and slice on a mandoline or as thin as you can using a sharp knife with a thin blade.
- Mix the potatoes with the garlic cream and season.
- Spoon the potatoes into a wide shallow dish and spread evenly.
- Pour over the excess garlic cream.
- Scatter over the parmesan - this will give the potatoes a nice crust when finished.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
To prepare the green beans:
- Blanch the green beans in boiling salted water and refresh in plenty of iced cold water to stop the cooking. To reheat the green beans, sauté in a little butter
To make the sauce vierge:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper
To cook the fillet of beef:
- Before cooking, make sure to leave the fillet out of the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the meat to come to room temperature.
- Pre-heat a medium sized heavy based frying pan until smoking hot.
- Oil and season the beef before placing in the pan.
- Sear the beef on all sides until you have good crust. Add in a knob of butter and baste the beef for a further 1 minute – this helps enhance the flavour and colour.
- Place the fillet of beef on a roasting tray, brush with Dijon mustard and roll in the crushed peppercorns.
- Roast in a hot oven at 190 degrees see timings below
Cooking guides for the fillet of beef:
- Rare 20-25 minutes
- Medium rare 30-35 minutes
- Medium 35-40 minutes
- Well done about 50 minutes to 1 hour
- After the beef is cooked allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving