Roast Skate Wing, with Garlic Spinach, Caper Lemon and Parsley Brown Butter.
This recipe serves four people.
- 4 pieces of Skate
- 200g of baby spinach
- 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
- 100g of butter
- 50g of rinsed baby capers
- 1 lemon (segmented)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Place heavy based frying pan on a high heat, season the skate with salt and pepper, add some veg oil to the pan, carefully place the fish into the pan and pan fry for three mins (until golden) on each side. Place on roasting tray and finish cooking in pre-heated oven at 190 degrees for four to six minutes or until cooked through. As these fish pieces are quite large, you may have to cook all four pieces separately.
- To make the sauce – add the butter to same pan, heat the butter until it starts to foam and has nutty aroma (this is the impurities in the butter caramelizing) add in capers, lemon segments and parsley, and set to one side.
- To cook spinach - add a little olive oil to a pan, sauté garlic for thirty seconds, add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- To plate – put some of the sautéd spinach on the plate, place the cooked skate on top of the spinach and drizzle the lemon and caper butter over the top.
- Ask your fish monger to remove knuckles and skin off skate wings – and if they are large ask him to cut in half.
- Don’t over crowd the pan when cooking fish as it reduces temperature and fish will stick to pan.