Crispy Plaice with New Potato and Warm Tartar Sauce
This recipe serves 4 people as a main course
- 800g skinned plaice fillets
- 10 new baby potatoes, peeled, cooked and sliced
- 200g peas
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 50g gherkins
- 50g washed baby capers
- 2 boiled eggs chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 200mls cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- Splash of milk
- 100g flour
- 300g breadcrumbs or Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees celcius.
- To make the breaded plaice, take the skin off the fillets and ensure there are no small bones.
- Put the flour into a medium sized bowl.
- Crack the eggs into another medium sized bowl and beat with a splash of milk.
- Put the breadcrumbs into a third medium sized bowl and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Place the plaice fillets one at a time through the flour, egg and then the breadcrumbs. Repeat the process with the rest of the fillets.
- Pan-fry for 4- 5 minutes in a medium frying pan in a little vegetable oil until crispy and cooked through. Place onto a roasting tray and finish cooking them in a pre heated oven at 160 degrees for 4 minutes
- For the sauce put a medium sized heavy based pot on medium heat. When the pot is hot add the olive oil and carefully add the onions and cook for 2 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the cream and reduce by ¼. When the sauce has reduced you can lower the heat and add the potatoes, peas, gherkins, capers, egg and finish with a splash of lemon to taste.
- Serve in a wide bowl with the crispy plaice on top