Pan Roasted Halibut with Grilled Baby Gem, Summer Vegetables, Lemon and Calamari Broth
This recipe serves 4 people
- 4 x 200g halibut fillets
- 1 x calamari finely sliced
- 2 x heads of baby gem
- 2 x shallots finely sliced
- 100mls chicken stock
- 100g peas fresh or frozen
- 1 x courgette diced
- 100g mangetout
- 100g sugar snaps
- 100g of butter
- 3 x sprigs of mint picked and chopped
- 1 x lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Place a heavy based frying pan on a high heat. Season the halibut with salt and pepper and add some vegetable oil to the pan. Carefully place the fish into the pan and pan fry for 3 minutes (until golden) on one side. Add the quarter baby gem to the pan and finish cooking in pre-heated oven at 190 degrees for 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.
- To make the sauce – add a tea spoon of butter to the same pan. Sauté the shallots for 2 minutes with no colour. Add the green vegetables and chicken stock to the pan, bring to the boil and add the rest of the butter and mint. Squeeze the juice from the lemon and season with salt and pepper. Add the finely sliced calamari right before serving to keep nice and tender.
- To plate – put some of the garnish and sauce on the plate, place the cooked halibut on top of the sauce and spoon more of the sauce over the fish and serve.
- Ask your fish monger to fillet and skin the fillets of halibut for you
- The sauce/garnish works very well with all types of fish, lemon sole, Dover sole or Turbot
- If you can get fresh peas use them but frozen peas work well too