Roast Cornfed Chicken Breast with Garlic Potato, Ratatouille and Basil Pesto
- 4 cornfed chicken breasts
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- Knob of butter
- 1kg rooster potatoes
- 250mls cream
- 1 clove of garlic
- 20 g parmesan
- 1 courgette
- 1 small aubergine
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- ½ clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ clove garlic
- 50 g lightly toasted pine nuts
- 50 g grated parmesan
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- 80mls olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Bring the cream and garlic to the boil and set to one side.
- Peel the potatoes and slice on a mandoline or as thin as you can using a knife with a thin blade.
- Mix the potatoes with the garlic cream and season.
- Spoon the potatoes in a wide shallow dish evenly.
- Pour over the excess garlic cream.
- Scatter over the parmesan to give the potatoes a nice crust when finished.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
- Peel the baby carrots and asparagus and blanch in boiling salted water.
- Once blanched, refresh the veg in plenty of iced cold water to stop the cooking.
- Sauté in a little butter to reheat.
- Place a pot on medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and sauté the vegetables for 4-5minutes until soft.
- Add the tomato paste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the garlic and a little salt in a mortar and pestle until you have a paste.
- Add the pine nuts and parmesan and repeat.
- Add the olive oil and then the basil a bit at time until you have a smooth green pesto.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Before cooking the chicken, make sure to leave it out of the fridge for 30mins to allow the meat to come to room temp.
- Pre heat a medium sized heavy based frying pan until smoking hot.
- Oil and season the chicken breast skin side down before placing in the pan.
- Sear the chicken on both sides until you have good colour, add in a knob of butter to the pan and baste for a further 1min – this helps enhance the flavour and colour.
- Place on a roast tray roast for 20 minutes or until cooked all the way through
- After the chicken is cooked allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving