Dover or black sole is a wonderful delicate flavoured fish and excellent to serve with a group of friends, this is a very classical way to serve this fish and a real treat!
This recipe serves four people.
- 4 x 500-600g Black or Dover sole
- 200g of baby spinach
- 1 x clove of garlic (chopped)
- 100g of butter
- 1 lemon (segmented)
- 20g toasted flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Place heavy based frying pan on a high heat, season the sole with salt and pepper, add some vegetable oil to the pan, carefully place the fish into the pan and pan fry for three minutes (until golden) on each side. Place on roasting tray and finish cooking in pre-heated oven at 190 degree for four-six minutes or until cooked through. As these fish are quite large, you may have to cook all four pieces separately.
- To make the sauce – add the butter to same pan, heat the butter until it starts to foam and has nutty aroma (this is the impurities in the butter caramelizing) add in lemon segments and parsley, and set to one side.
- To cook spinach - add a little olive oil to a pan, sauté garlic for 30 seconds, add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- To plate – put some of the sautéed spinach on the plate, place the cooked sole on top of the spinach and drizzle the lemon and parsley butter over the top, and scatter the plated with the toasted almonds
- Ask your fish monger to remove skins from the fish. This fish is very simple to take off the bone once cooked.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan when cooking fish as it reduces temperature and fish will stick to pan.