This recipe serves four people
- 4 venison strip loin steaks trimmed
- 1 celeriac, 2 sprigs of thyme, 100mls cream, 50 g butter salt and pepper
- 200mls cream, 50mls brandy, 10g crushed black pepper, 20g butter
- 1 bunch cabbage, olive oil & butter to sauté
- Boil the celeriac and sprig of thyme in half milk and half water until tender. Pass through a colander and discard the cooking liquid. Purée the cooked celeriac in a blender with the cream and butter. Season to taste.
- Trim the venison of all fat and sinew, season with salt and pepper and sear in a hot heavy based pan. Roast at 190 degrees for 12 minutes until medium rare. Allow to rest for 6 minutes before carving
- To make the sauce, deglaze the pan where you seared the venison with the brandy. Add the crushed peppercorns and cream and reduce until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Take off the heat, add the butter and tarragon.
- Sauté the cabbage in a little olive oil, butter and season
- Put celeriac purée in the base of the bowl, sautéed cabbage, carved venison and spoon over the sauce