Serves four people
- 4 x 160g tuna loin steaks
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- 600g x heirloom tomatoes sliced and quartered
- 1 x red onion
- 10 x torn basil leaves
- 20 mls extra virgin olive oil
- 5 mls apple balsamic or any good balsamic
- Small hand full of rocket leaves
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 shallot, diced
- Chopped coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take the tuna steaks out of the fridge to allow them to come to room temperature until ready to cook.
- To make the guacamole, cut the avocado in half and take out the stone. Use a spoon to remove the flesh into a bowl, add the lime juice to stop the avocado going brown and use a fork to mash to a purée, add the chilli, shallot, coriander and season with salt and pepper.
- To make the salad, place the chopped and sliced tomatoes in a bowl with the red onion, basil, rocket, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste.
- Place a heavy based frying pan on medium to high heat.
- Season the tuna steaks with plenty of pepper and salt and dress in a little olive oil. It is better to oil the fish and not the pan!
- Carefully place the steaks into the preheated pan and sear on each side for 2 minutes. Serve medium rear.
- Heirloom tomatoes are different varieties of tomatoes and are sold in most super markets. Don't be put off by the different shapes and colours as each one has a different flavour & texture.
- When you are buying tuna, buy steaks that are bright red, firm to the touch and smell of the sea.