This recipe serves four people for dinner
- 12 venison sausages
- 1 bottle of McGrath’s red ale
- 800g potatoes
- 4 onions finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs thyme picked
- ¼ head of cabbage finely sliced, blanched and refreshed in cold water to keep the colour
- 100mls cream
- 100g butter
- 30mls olive oil
Peel the potatoes and place in a pot of cold water, bring to the boil and cook until tender. Strain, put back in the pot and return to the heat to evaporate all the moisture. Mash the potatoes add the cream. Fold in the blanched cabbage and season with salt and pepper.
Place a heavy based frying pan frying pan on a medium heat. Add some olive oil and sauté the onions for five to six minutes until soft with no colour; add the bay leaf, thyme and sausages and fry until the sausages are golden. Add the bottle of ale, season with salt and lots of cracked black pepper.
Place the pan in to a pre heated oven at 180 degrees and roast for twenty minutes.
To serve place a spoon of the colcannon in a large bowl, three sausages on top and spoon over some of the rich onion gravy.
- You can use pork or beef sausages for this recipe if you prefer.
- Serve with some steamed greens e.g. spinach, kale or broccoli.
- You can use any ale, stout of bark beer for this recipe.