This recipe will serve four people as a main
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 3 - 4 hours
- 4 Lamb shanks
- 2 carrots, 2 red onions, 2 cloves garlic, 3 sticks celery all diced
- 8 shallots peeled
- 100g butter
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 tin tomato
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch Kale
- 1 table spoon picked thyme and rosemary
- 1kg potatoes, 50g butter, 100mls cream, 50g grated parmesan
- Sear the lamb shanks in a hot heavy based pan until golden all round. Take out and set to one side.
- In the same pan, add butter, onions, carrot, garlic and celery and sauté until soft.
- Add the lamb back into the pan along with the wine, tomatoes and herbs.
- Place the lid on the pan and cook in a 150°c oven for 3 hours until soft and tender.
- Boil the potatoes until cooked and mash until no lumps, add the cream, butter, parmesan and season.
- Place a large dollop of potatoes in the centre of a bowl.
- Place the cooked lamb shank on top and spoon over some of the sauce.
- Ask the butcher to trim off any excess sinew
- Be sure to get plenty of colour on the Lamb as this will give the sauce more flavour
- This recipe will also work with diced beef
- It will taste better the next day